Before you Connect
Before you set Quicken to download transactions you may need to contact your financial institution (FI) for the following information:
- Customer ID
- Personal Identification Number (PIN) or password
For Quicken Web Connect/Express Web Connect accounts, use the same customer ID and PIN/password as your financial institution website. For Direct Connect, they may be different. Please contact your financial institution to verify your Direct Connect login information.
IMPORTANT: We recommend that you back up your Quicken Data File before setting up online banking accounts for the first time. Choose Help > Quicken Help and search for Back Up for backup instructions.
Link Your Quicken Data File to Your Quicken ID
When you set up an account for online banking, Quicken requires you to link your Quicken data file to a Quicken ID. If you don’t currently have a Quicken ID, you will need to create one.
Fill in the information to set up your Quicken ID and link your data file.
If you already have a Quicken ID, click “SIGN IN” under “Already have an account?” and sign in.
Set Up an Account for Online Banking (Direct Connect)
- Choose Tools > Add Account…
- Click the type of account you want to set up.
- After you choose the type of account you want to add, you will see the financial institution selection screen. Type the name of your financial institution to filter the list.
- When your financial institution name appears in the filter results, click your financial institution’s listing and then click Options to see the connectivity selection screen.
NOTE: Be sure to select the correct financial institution, because some financial institutions may appear more than once. If you have any questions about which listing to choose for Direct Connect, please contact your financial institution.
- In the connectivity selection screen, select Direct Connect and click Continue.
- Quicken will now display a login screen: type your Direct Connect credentials and follow the prompts to add your accounts to Quicken 2017.
Set Up an Account for Online Banking (Web Connect)
- Log into your financial institution’s website.
- Download your transactions according to your financial institution’s instructions.
- If you are given a choice for your download format, choose “Quicken Web Connect (*.QFX)” and save the file to your computer.NOTE: These instructions assume you will save the download to your computer. If you “open” it instead, your web browser should open Quicken and begin to import the transactions. If you plan to open the file directly, we recommend that you have your Quicken data file open in Quicken before you begin Step 2.
- Open Quicken, then choose File > Import > Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX)… You will see an import dialog.
- Navigate to and select the file you downloaded in Step 2, then click Open.
- Click Link an Existing Account if you have an appropriate account in the account list. If you don’t have an account yet, click Create a new account and enter a nickname for that account.
- Click Import.
- Click OK to confirm and finish.
Set Up an Account for Online Banking (Quicken Connect)
- Choose Add Account on the sidebar.
- Select the type of account you want to set up.
- After you select the type the name of account you want to add, you will see the financial institution selection screen. Type the name of your financial institution to filter the list.
- When you see your financial institution’s name in the filter results, click it and click Continue.
- Quicken will now display a login screen: type the credentials you use to log in to your financial institution’s website and follow the prompts to add your accounts to Quicken.NOTE: During the Quicken Connect setup, you might be asked to enter your Multi-Factor Authentication information. This could be a series of security questions, a one-time passcode, etc.
Updating Accounts: The One Step Update
After an account has been set up for online banking, you can use One Step Update to update information. Just click Update Accounts in the Quicken sidebar.
Set Up Bill Pay (Direct Connect)
Some financial institutions offer Direct Connect subscribers the ability to send payments directly from within Quicken. If your financial institution offers Bill Pay services, this feature is turned on during the Direct Connect account setup.
NOTE: Contact your financial institution if you have any questions about Bill Pay enrollment processes and capabilities.
Adding an Online Payee
Sending online payments with Quicken is a fast and easy way to pay your bills. Just add the payment to the Online Payee List once; all Quicken accounts share this list.
- Choose Window > Payees or press CMD-Shift-E.
You’ll see your Payee List.
- Click Add Payee (the + sign at bottom left). You’ll see the Add Payee sheet.
- In the Add Payee sheet, enter your payee’s contact and account information, then click Done.
- Now you can send a payment to the Payee.
Creating an Online Payment
After you have added your online payees, you are ready to create an online bill payment.
- Click New Transaction.
- Click Edit Details.
- In the Details panel, click Online Payments, then click the Online Payment check box.
The online payment panel will appear.
- Choose the payment date, enter your payee information and the amount, and click Save.